Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Dish: Carrot Cake

So for some reason I'm obsessed with cupcakes, and have been itching to make pound cake cupcakes with strawberry frosting. I cheated and bought pound cake mix. However, I planned to make the frosting from scratch, but I ate most of the strawberries this week before I got around to making the cupcakes. So, I guess I'll try this one out later.

I think my obsession with cupcakes may be due to their perfect little state of being. I mean come on...they're so pretty and cute, how can you not want to eat them. It's like having a personal cake; personal sized pizza's were a hit! Why not pint-sized, personal cakes! This also helps with portion control, as long as you divy out the remaining cupcakes to friends, family, neighbors and co-workers.

Anyway, my next cupcake was going to be carrot cake cupcakes. Carrot cake happens to by my husband's favorite. But, this I had no intentions of cheating. I bought carrots and shredded them (finely, I might add, both in skill and texture!). This also, gave me a chance to try out my fancy hands-free mixer from Christmas. Also a rule from the hubby; I must make good carrot cake with this fancy kitchen appliance in order to justify taking up space. Regardless of the results, I have to say though, the mixer is awesome! Easy. Easy. Easy. And so easy to clean! I'm in love.

In the end, I decided to forego the cupcake attempt and just make the cake and test the recipe first. I can attempt the cupcakes later when I'm sure the recipe is approved.


Meanwhile, as I waited for the cake to cool (hence the rambling above and the photos below), I tested out my new app - Retro Camera.

Here's the result:






I also got bored...played with photo booth on my mac...nice glow effect. Kind of ethereal.




And finally, the cake was cool enough to frost.
So what do you think is for breakfast?

You got it. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I will eat this for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee!




Carrot Cake Recipe from joyofbaking.com

It's Mo approved. But the cupcakes will have to wait. This is a lot of cake!

5 comments:

  1. The cake looks absolutely delicious! My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. Now tell me...was it Vladi approved? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He didn't have for breakfast but took a bite, and I'm pretty sure it passed the test. :-) I'll try to save some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I love carrot cake (although I've never tried to make it). Did you get a Kitchen Aid? I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete