Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NYC: Jan 18-21

So last weeks trip to NYC included a few new spots and a couple of favorites.

The Spotted Pig.
Mercer Kitchen.
Landmarc.
Koi.



The Spotted Pig (a NEW Favorite)
I highly recommend a visit to The Spotted Pig for some delicious and interesting food, eclectic decor, and great beer. Vegetarians beware. They do have options but the entrees are heavy on the meat component such as crispy pork belly, a chargrilled burger with roquefort, calf's liver, beef tongue and striped bass. I opted to be daring and not concerned with my health and chose the crispy pork belly with polenta and chard. Yummy! But oh so fatty. I had never had pork belly before, so why not. It was alternating layers of fat and pork meat (somewhere in the custard like layers) with a crispy, crunchy top. Thank goodness for the polenta and chard. I needed something to sop up the intense bacon fat flavor and drippings. I don't even want to think how bad this is for me, but again, sometimes you just have to try new things for the fun of it. The menu also sported some delectable starters, of which we opted for the Devils on horseback. If I remember correctly, it was a date or prune stuffed with pear, then wrapped in bacon and served with some spicy, sweet sauce that reminded me of the holidays between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Very savory. Sadly, the beer was good, but I don't remember what I tried.

The Spotted Pig is Michelin Star rated and definitely worth a visit. Go with friends and enjoy!

314 West 11th St. @ Greenwich St.
New York, NY 10014
212.620.0393
http://thespottedpig.com/



Mercer Kitchen
Great decor and modern vibe. Lower level dining room, feels like a rustic, medievil cave meets modern simplistic design. The bathrooms (in the lower level) include an opaque glass ceiling/skylight where patrons above walk unknowingly over the lieu. It's really not that weird. The food was good, but not omg. I chose a salad with fennel and parmesan cheese, which was delicious along with a personal sized pizza margherita, which I've definitely had better of the latter.

http://www.jean-georges.com/



Landmarc (an Old Favorite)
I absolutely love Landmarc! For several reasons. The food and the silos, a.k.a pods. Located in the Time Warner Center (which is also a mall), on the third floor, this goes beyond your typical mall food fare. The mussels with white wine and herbs are phenomenal and the french onion soup will definitely warm your heart and belly! And the best part is the dessert that isn't listed on the menu, so make sure to ask for it...Cotton Candy served on a stick just like when you were a kid!

Boon-yo might hate me for posting this photo, but it's the only shot I have of the cotton candy dessert.


At the Time Warner Center
10 Columbus Circle, 3rd FL
New York, NY 10019
212.823.6123
www.landmarc-restaurant.com



Koi (an Old Favorite)
Definitely a great business lunch spot with delicious sushi. I think the most memorable of all sushi items is the spicy tuna atop crispy fried rice cakes. It's so good I can't even explain! I would go here just to eat those! The decor is modern asian, and located in the Bryant Park Hotel, oh so posh.

Koi @ Bryant Park Hotel
40 West 40th Street
New York, NY 10018
212.921.3330
www.koirestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment