Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wine Review: Shenandoah Vineyards 2008 Zinfandel Special Reserve

Sobon Family Wines.

Tonight was a rainy Wednesday that called for a glass of wine. So I picked a bottle and poured a little taste. Smelling the glass now reminds me of the overwhelming fragrance when you enter Napa Valley. A sweet velvety mulch, juicy ripe grapes, and an earthy goodness that's almost out of this world. It's only been 2 months since my first visit to Napa, but I'm already itching to go back. Until then....
Until then, I must enjoy what we brought back from the wine country and what we encounter back home. Tonight, it was Shenandoah Vineyards 2008 Zinfandel Special Reserve. I'm not an expert, but my theory is: If you like it, and it tastes good to you, then it's a good wine for you. And this one tastes good to me. For me, fruity with a slight cherry after taste and a light spiciness. Dry but not tannic (in other words, or so I've been told...it didn't dry the mouth too much.) And apparently very affordable. We received as a gift, but internet research has show prices between $9.99 and $11.99.

But, in case you want to know what the wine experts are saying:

88 Points!
"A good, rich Zin that shows load of character at a great price. Full-bodied and bone dry, it bursts with blacberry, tobacco, dark chocolate and pepper flavors."
-Wine Enthusiast, May 2010

87 Points!
"A nicely ripened, straight-foward zinfandel...delivers a fine measure of slight juicy, well-defined fruit...a supple, easy to drink wine." -Connoissuer's Guide, May 2010

Shenandoah Vineyards was started in 1977 by the Sobon family, which prides themselves on using estate grown grapes from their sustainably-farmed vineyards. For more information on Shenandoah Vineyards and wines, visit: www.shenandoahvineyards.com



No comments:

Post a Comment