Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

24 Days of Thanks: #20 - 18

Ok...so I fell behind a little. I've been thinking a lot about the things I'm thankful for, but just haven't had the time to sit and write them down. I was banned on Saturday because it was date night (I guess that is pretty important); and then it was off to NY for non-stop work.

So, here's #'s 20 - 18 (I will catch up and get back on track over the next few days):

20. For the ability to travel
I love to travel and have been blessed to be able to do so, and therefore extremely grateful to my parents, hubby and job, which have literally taken me around the world.

My parents had one child - me, so I was lucky enough to tag along with them to places like Hawaii and Colorado before the age of 10. Then, they were brave enough to let me travel across the world when I was only 14 for a Scandinavian field trip through Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Before heading off to college, we jetted across on a family adventure to Paris - full of cheese, baguettes and amazing views from the Eifel Tower and Sacre Coeur. Then, we headed to Italy via high-speed train on an unexpected adventure. Our wonderful train was not halted by the routine strikes often occurring in France, rather it broke down in the middle of the Alps. So, we hopped on to the only passing train, which landed us in the baggage cart sitting on our luggage to then find ourselves on a local train stopping routinely every 2 minutes, before ending up 8-hours later in Milan buying new tickets to Rome. When we got to Rome, it was nothing less than amazing...drenched with sun and rich with history, art and architecture. Then, a short stop in Pompeii (including the sight of the former Apian Way) and Naples - the true home of pizza...get the margherita. Since that memorable adventure, I've had the opportunity to check out a few other places....California (from San Diego to Napa), New York, Canada, Mexico, The French Polynesia-Tahiti, Morea, Bora Bora; Bordeaux, Shanghai, Holland, and most recently - Serbia.

It's been amazing to meet so many people, try to speak different languages and enjoy so many different types of food, and for this, I'm extremely thankful for travel and other cultures opening my eyes beyond my comfortable little bubble called home.

Just a few highligts:









19. Caffeine
Coffee, tea, diet coke. They all provide that little kick-in-the-pants that is needed. But for my go-to-every-day caffeine choice, it's the coffee. It's that little extra jolt I need in the morning...ok, maybe a lot of extra jolt, since I drink a large cup at home (which is really a ritual) and a large 16 - 20 oz to-go-cup at the office. So thank you to the inventors and pioneers of coffee and caffeine!!

Factoid: Ethiopian ancestors are believed to be the first to discover and recognize the energizing effect from the coffee bean plant.




18. Laughter
Ok, so maybe it's not laughter itself, but the things and people that make me laugh that I'm most thankful for. It's the best medicine, and it really makes you feel better!

Today, I saw this shirt on the guy who took my lunch order (obviously this photo is not that guy), and it was the unexpected humor that got a little giggle out of me:

can_vegetarians_eat_animal_crackers_tshirt-p235261299455675560uh2p_400.jpg (400×400)


And this guys....he makes me laugh all the time:



And Juno...well she's her own comedy act:




1 comment:

  1. All wonderful things to be thankful for. Those three things are at the top of my list, as well!

    ReplyDelete